Energy generation project
Feasibility study to determine the strategy for the development and implementation of a global energy generation project for the Waste and Energy Consortium of Menorca
The general objective of the analysis is to provide the responsible administration with quality information to support strategic decision making
The general objective of the analysis is to provide the responsible administration with quality information to support strategic decision making regarding the potential development of a project to improve/expand the current Es Milá wind farm, as well as the possibility of implementing a solar farm in an annex site, specifically in the Milá 1 and Milá 2 landfills, where the implementation of an organic waste valorization plant with biogas utilization is foreseen in the future.
The specific technical objectives that have been achieved are:
- Study of different alternatives from the technological point of view. Preliminary analysis of implementation costs.
- Extrapolation of wind resource data to heights of around 80-90 m.
- Parameterization of the utility function related to the management model of the power generation plant and the potential profitability of the different technically feasible alternatives.
- Determination of different alternative scenarios to be analyzed.
- Study of the profitability of all alternative scenarios, depending on the different variables considered.
- Analysis of results and drawing of conclusions.
The site under analysis is located north of Mahón. It is the strategic area destined to the concentration of actions related to waste management and the generation and/or use of energy.
The Es Milá wind farm, which has four wind turbines of 800 kW each (3.2 MW total), is currently in operation.
Adjacent to the wind farm is the municipal solid waste (MSW) landfill and recovery plant. There are two free landfills for the development of a photovoltaic solar energy implementation project. These two areas are known as Milá 1 and Milá 2.
With all the existing data, different technical solutions are proposed based on the following fundamental aspects, resulting in an analysis of up to twelve alternative scenarios:
- Repowering of the wind farm.
- Development of solar photovoltaic installation.
- Energy evacuation line.
For each scenario the NPV, IRR and PAYBACK indicators are evaluated, establishing a ranking with the best possible alternatives, thus ordering the twelve alternative scenarios proposed, which arise as a combination of two alternatives for repowering the wind farm, two alternatives for implementing photovoltaic solar energy, and three possible evacuation lines.
Want to know more about INGECID’s capabilities? Access here